Jul 2, 2008

My patterns - Meine Anleitungen


My patterns (things you should know before buying them!):




Today I would like to explain the idea behind the patterns. I already began with the series but there are some things I want to speak about.

The series is not only about the pattern of the month but it’s also a workshop about the embellisher (mainly by now) and the other techniques I use for my art.

You will find perhaps that you should have an embellisher and lots of stuff to do these patterns but I actually want exactly the opposite. Less tools and materials or – even better – materials you have at home, recycled ones.

I will explain this idea:

Even if the embellisher looks like something fancy for many of you, I must tell you that almost the only tools I use are:

· The embellisher

· The sewing machine

· A soldering iron with a fine point (I think this is something most of you have)

· A craft heat tool

If you buy some wool roving in different colors (you can even mix your colors rather well using carding combs). A little amount of wool roving goes a long way…! and have some fabric and old clothing at home besides some embroidery threads you are almost done.

These workshops are about being creative and I hope the patterns help you to get ideas and not to go running for the same material I used or – even worse – try to get things you don’t have in your country from another country! We are talking environment, less chemicals, more recycling.

I won’t be asking for special brands or fancy gadgets. As I’m using my stash and I’m already a long time doing this I will surely use some things I possess, like self dyed wool, fabric or threads.

There are wonderful people out there using fabulous things and getting the most stunning results out of them and I love what my artist friends are using and the techniques they develop. I love all the magazines and exhibitions around the world. I have a private collection of great art objects I buy and swap. The only thing I want to explain is that I’d like my patterns to be different. To be more of a DIY art with open options.

I will explain one technique in detail in each of them (with many pictures!). Because of that I say these are patterns to collect. It’s like a book, but an interactive one. You can visit my blog, see what I’m doing at the moment, send me emails and ask me about the techniques, and you have the choice of either to follow the pattern to the very end or to get creative in the middle of the process (for instance, you can embellish more than I do if you like, I always keep this rather low key)

I would like you to send me photos of your own product!

Excuse me that this posting is rather long. I had to explain this to you!


Meine Anleitungen (was man vor dem Kauf wissen sollte!)

Heute möchte ich die Idee hinter der Anleitungen erklären. Ich habe schon mit der Serie angefangen aber ich möchte noch über einige Details sprechen.

Die Serie ist nicht einfach eine Anleitungsansammlung. Sie ist auch ein Embellisher-Workshop (mindestens dieses Jahr) und enthält andere dazu passende Technikerklärungen, die ich verwende.

Sie werden denken, sie brauchen dazu einen Embellisher und eine Menge Werkzeug, aber ich möchte eigentlich gerade das Gegenteil. Mit wenigen Werkzeugen und Materialien, eher auf einer Recyclingbasis arbeiten.

Ich möchte dies näher erklären:

Es handelt sich um meine Basisausrüstung, sie ist für manche von Euch sicher neu, aber ich halte den Embellisher für einen „Muß“ (in jeder Nähstube), also meine Hauptwerkzeuge sind:

· Der Embellisher

· Die Nähmaschine

· Einen Lötkolben mit sehr feinen Spitze (man hat so was öfters zu Hause)

· Ein Bastelfön

(diese letzten beide Sachen sind sehr preiswert und ich nehme an, daß man eine Nähmaschine zu Hause hat, wenn man sich für Textilien interessiert).

Sonst braucht man Wollvlies (mit sehr wenig davon kann man sehr viel machen), Stoffreste, sogar alte Wäsche und Stickmaterial (Fäden, Nadeln, usw.)

Ich möchte mit diesen Workshops die Kreativität anregen und hauptsächlich mit vorhandenen Sachen arbeiten. Ich interessiere mich sehr für die Umwelt, weniger Chemikalieneinsatz und mehr Recycling.

Ich möchte keine besondere Produkte oder Marken, keine spezielle Werkzeuge. Ich möchte aus dem Vorhanden schöpfen (ich gebe zu, daß ich viele selbstgefärbte Wolle, Stoffe und Fäden habe).

Ich habe wunderbare Künstlerfreundinnen, die ganz tolle Kunstwerke mit allen möglichen Mitteln schöpfen und ich vergönne ihnen jeden Produkt, den sie verwenden. Ich liebe alle Textilkunstzeitschriften und Textilausstellungen. Ich besitze eine große Sammlung von gekauften und getauschten Kunstobjekte. Ich möchte nur Erklären, daß ich in diesen Anleitungen anders wie in den üblichen Anleitungen arbeiten will. Ich möchte mehr „Kunst zum Selbermachen“ anbieten, mit keinem unbedingt überall gleichen Anleitungsausgang.

Ich werde in jeder Anleitung eine meiner Techniken in Detail erklären (mit vielen Fotos). Deswegen meine ich, daß diese Anleitungen zum Sammeln sind. Es wird wie ein interaktives Buch sein. Sie können meinen Blog besuchen, mir Emails schreiben, um Gedanken mit mir und anderen Workshopsteilnehmern auszutauschen. Sie können Sich aussuchen, ob Sie die Anleitung genauso wie das Original nachmachen oder Sie können kreativ mitten im Prozeß einschreiten (z.B. mehr Perlen oder Stiche wie ich verwenden) andere Farben und Details benutzen.



8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing this. I love to see how other people create and love that you are sharing this with us.

    Jill in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a lovely idea and ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to hear that "less is more" and "use what you have" philosophy! Most of us have more materials on hand than we could use in our lifetime. A little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea and I definietely want to try your patterns... it's you, Sara, who inspired me to felt and experiment with it- and now I'm in the begining of this fascinatig journey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks absolutely amazing!

    (I've just posted some photos of Mattias when he opens the birthday package :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, how do I find your tutorials? I've tried several links on past blog posts (I just found your blog today) and none seem to work. I have an embellisher, and really, really need some lessons in using it. Your work is amazing! Do I need to buy your patterns in order to see the tutorials or your methods?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sunny,
    I explain the techniques in my tutorials. You can buy the patterns in my shop on the top of the page or at Etsy. You find the link on this blog too. The embellisher is a wonderful machine, just try the possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is your medium for this art is a PAPER? very creative and I love it.. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete